Description (Some HTML is OK)
Yummy minced beef topped with spinach and cheese then finished with a topping of crisp filo pastry - or spuds. Very tasty!
Makes 5 servings
- * 1 lb lean ground beef or ground sirloin
- * 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with puree
- * 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- * 3 cloves garlic (per taste)
- * 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- * 1 tablespoon sugar
- * 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- * 1 tablespoon oregano
- * salt and pepper
- * 9 ounces fresh spinach, trimmed
- * 2 eggs
- * 1 lb small curd cottage cheese
- * 2 cups Italian cheese blend (4 cheese mixture)
- * 1 teaspoon salt (kosher)
- * 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- * 8 filo pastry sheets
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
Place olive oil in large skillet.
Add garlic and brown for about 2 minutes.
Add ground beef and brown.
Drain off excess grease.
Add crushed tomatoes.
Add tomato paste.
Add nutmeg, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
Simmer for at least 1 hour.
While this is cooking prepare the filling.
Trim ends from spinach.
Cook until wilted.
Drain off all excess liquid and squeeze dry.
Beat 2 eggs.
Add cottage cheese and spinach.
Add 1 cup of Italian blend cheese.
Salt and pepper.
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray a 13x9 pan (preferrably glass) with non stick spray.
Pour sauce into pan.
Top with filling.
Cover with rest of cheese.
Take one sheet of filo at a time and brush with melted butter until you have 8 layers.
Bake at 350 deg. for 1 hour or until top is golden brown.
Let stand for at least 15 minutes.
Cut into squares and serve.
(you can top with fried sliced spuds)