Description (Some HTML is OK)
Can't decide between tomato or cream sauce for your pasta?
This recipe has both ... and was originally shared by our friend Aleta
Makes 4 servings
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 6 free range skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite size chunks (cheaper than breasts)
- 3 rashers bacon rashers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 2 glasses of dry white wine
- 1 x 400g canned plum tomatoes
- 1tbs tomato paste
- 500g chestnut mushrooms, cut into halves
- 200ml creme fraeche (low fat)
- 500g Dec Cecco Tortiglioni pasta (or any tube style pasta)
- Handful of fresh basil
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper for seasoning
- Parmesan cheese
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Heat 1tbs of oil into a large non-stick pan
2. Brown onions & bacon on gentle heat until softened (approx 5 mins). Add the chicken pieces and brown for a further 5 mins. Add chopped garlic, wine and mushrooms then simmer gently for 20 mins to reduce and intensify flavours. Season to taste ... more pepper less salt.
3. Add plum tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to break up tomatoes.
4. Cook pasta according to instructions and taste (al dente is best)
5. When pasta is almost cooked, add creme fraceche to sauce and gently stir to heat.
6. Drain pasta and gently stir into the chicken sauce. Toss in basil leaves ... and serve with grated Parmesan.