Description (Some HTML is OK)
This is one of Nigella's, but big thanks to Solveig for recommending this!
NB when I make this on subsequent occasions, I'm planning to use a narrower diameter cake tin resulting in a deeper cake - thus making it look more like a pint of guinness :)
Makes 10 servings
- FOR THE CAKE
- 250ml Guinness
- 250g unsalted butter
- 75g cocoa
- 400g caster sugar
- 142ml sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 275g plain flour
- 2½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- FOR THE TOPPING
- 300g Philadelphia cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 125ml double or whipping cream
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 4/180°C, and butter and line a 23cm cake tin.
2. Pour the Guinness into a large wide saucepan, add the butter, heating until the butter's melted.
3. Whisk in the cocoa and sugar.
4. Beat the sour cream with the eggs and vanilla and then pour into the chocolate mixture.
5. Whisk in the flour and bicarb.
6. Pour the cake batter into the greased and lined tin and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool completely in the tin on a cooling rack.
7. For the topping, lightly whip the cream cheese until smooth, sieve over the icing sugar and then beat them both together.
8. Add the cream and beat again until it makes a spreadable consistency. Ice the top of the black cake so that it resembles the frothy top of the famous pint.