Description (Some HTML is OK)
Quick version of this classic French dish ... ideal for mid week!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 rashers smoked bacon, roughly chopped
- 6 chicken thigh fillets, cut into quarters
- 2 tbs plain flour
- 200ml red wine
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 200ml hot chicken stock
- chopped chives for garnish
- freshly ground black pepper for seasoning
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Heat the oil in a large flameproof pan and cook the onion and bacon for2-3 mins until. Meanwhile dust the chicken in the seasoned flour, shake off any excess, add to this pan and cook for 5 mins until golden brown.
2. Add the wine and bubble vigorously for 3 mins, then add the mushrooms to the pan along with the hot stock. Season with pepper then cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and chicken is cooked through with no pink meat.
3. Sprinkle the coq au vin with a little chopped fresh chives and serve with barley couscous (or similar).