Description (Some HTML is OK)
This chicken is to die for and well worth the effort ...
inspired by Yo! Sushi
Makes 4 servings
- 400g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled and seeds removed
- 300ml water
- 8 free range chicken thighs
- 2tbsp cornflour, sifted for dusting
- 1tbsp mirin or sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 100ml sake
- 100ml teriyaki sauce
- 2tsp ginger, grated from fresh root ginger
- 4tbsp rice vinegar
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Place the chicken thighs skin-side up on a chopping board and make some shallow incisions. dust with sifted cornflour
2. Cut the pumpkin into wedges 2.5cm thick. Put them into a saucepan with the water, mirin or sugar and the salt and simmer for 12-15 mins.
3. Meanwhile cook the chicken thighs. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a high heat and add the oil. Cook the chicken skin-side down for 5 mins, then reduce the heat. Turn the chicken over and cook on the other side for 5 minutes. Cover with a lid and allow to steam for a further 3 minutes
4. Remove the lid and add the sake, teriyaki sauce and ginger, stiring gently to distribute sauce evenly.
5. When the cooking juices begin to thicken, add the rice vinegar and stir well. Turn off the heat and serve. Drizzle the chicken with the pan juices.
6. Drain the pumpkin wedges and garnish with sesame seeds & chives if you like