Description (Some HTML is OK)
A really simple fruit cake recipe that can be made in under 2 hours, and will keep for 3 months or so
Makes 8 servings
- 120g Olive/Butter-based Margarine or Pure Butter
- 100g Fruit Sugar
- 70g Cane Sugar
- 340g Mixed Dried Sultanas, Raisins, Cherries, Apple
- 230ml Water
- 1tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ tsp Ginger
- ½ tsp Cinammon
- 2 Large Eggs (beaten)
- 120g Brown Wholewheat Flour
- 120g Self-raising Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 8" Round Cake tin (or 7" Square).
- Mixing bowl
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Margarine, sugar, fruit, water, bicarbonate of soda and spices into saucepan on medium heat. Bring to boil and simmer for a minute.
2. Pour out of saucepan into a mixing bowl and allow to cool (to prevent eggs cooking when mixed in).
3. Turn on oven while waiting for cooling, preheat to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4
4. Prepare cake tin with thin layer of margarine and greaseproof paper
5. Once mixture has cooled to 'warm', add eggs, flour and salt.
6. Mix well, pour into cake tin.
7. When oven at temperature, pop cake in over on middle shelf and bake for about 1 hour 15 minutes. After 45 minutes or so, you may need to cover the tin in brown paper, to prevent cake burning.
8. Cake is done when an inserted skewer comes out clean with no sticky bits.
9. Bring to work and allow vultures to descend.