Description (Some HTML is OK)
Posh apple pie
Makes 6 servings
- 1lb of apples, preferably a sweet eater like Golden Delicious
- 75g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 sheet of ready made puff pastry, ready rolled if you can get it.
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
If you have a tarte tatin dish, so much the better, but if not you really need a flameproof dish about 9" diameter, or failing that, an oven-proof frying pan.
1. Peel the apples and cut them into quarters. Core them (use a melon baller if you have one, its quicker and neater).
2. Melt the butter in the pan.
3. Add the sugar and continue until the sugar has melted into the butter.
4. Spread the apples on top of the butter/sugar mixture.
5. Turn the heat up slightly and cook until the sugar caramelises, giving the pan a nudge occasionally to stop the apples from sticking and burning.
6. Remove from the heat and lay a sheet of puff pastry across the top of the mixture, trimming off any excess.
7. Put in a hot oven (220 degrees) for 25 to 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and risen.
8. Carefully turn the pan over onto a plate and serve with cream, ice cream or creme fraiche. Also delicious cold.