Description (Some HTML is OK)
A mixture of Malay, Indian and Chinese flavours, this curry is mouthwatering.
Makes 4 servings
- 2 ½ tbsp madras curry powder
- 8 chicken drumsticks/thighs, skinned
- 1 tbsp of Bart's Lemongrass paste
- 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 tbsp ginger puree
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 8 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped
- 10 curry leaves, finely chopped
- 3 finger chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 sachet coconut cream
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 medium tomatoes, each cut into 8 pieces
- 1 tsp sugar
Preparation (Some HTML is OK)
1. Rub 1 1/2 tbsp of the curry powder all over the drumsticks and set aside
2. Pour the oil into a frying pan and set over a high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the ginger puree and fry until it is brown.
3. Add the onion to the pan and fry until golden (about 5 minutes).
4. Add the remaining curry powder, lemon grass, lime leaves, curry leaves and green chillies. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Put in the chicken, salt and about 475ml of water into a casserole or slow cooker dish. Cook for 2 1/2 hours at 140 degrees C or for 1 1/2 hours at the high setting on the slow cooker followed by an hour on the low setting.
6. Add the coconut and tamarind and cook for a further hour.
7. Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for a further 20 minutes.
8. Serve with rice.